Wednesday, February 13, 2013

It's Just a Flu Shot

                The dreadful flu season has struck. It's the time of the year where everyone's liable to get sick. Since my mother is always lecturing me about my health, I asked about a flu shot at a recent doctor's visit. I was also curious to know exactly how beneficial the a flu shot would be. My doctor informed me that they were nothing to be uneasy about and that she had had one herself. Unfortunately they were out of the vaccine so I left without getting one. Furthermore, I came across a post called Indiana Nurses Fired for Refusing to Get Flu Shot. It talks about how a few nurses refused to take the flu vaccine and were fired in response to it I find this occurrence to be very controversial to me.
                 
            In my opinion I believe everyone in the health profession should receive flu vaccines. The shots are meant to decrease the chances of getting the flu. They may not be 100% effective, but the likelihood of getting the flu is low. Nurses are around people all day, sick people at that. The flu does spread, so by not receiving a flu shot one could potentially be setting themselves up to get sick or even their patients. I feel like anyone who isn't thinking of the patients health let alone their own health should elaborate on their career choice.




1 comment:

  1. I've never had a flu shot which is crazy because I have had the flu twice. I actually had it before we got out last semester for Christmas break. Maybe getting a flu shot isn't so bad after all. I'll have to look into that the next time I visit the doctor.

    ReplyDelete